Thursday, June 4

Our Courtship Days, by Em.

(Slight preface from Jeff, i've been nagging Mother for this story for MONTHS, now i can rest, but remember, Q+A with Granny is a regular feature on BLOG, ask her anything, She'll likely talk Your ear off...;-)).






It was the custom in those days of summer 1946, for young people to go to Sylvan Lake, a popular weekend getaway place, in groups of two or more, stay at the local hotel and join in the fun of beach entertainment and a huge Saturday night dance in the dance hall. My girl-friend Alice and I decided we’d enjoy going, so we saved up our expense money, boarded a Greyhound and arrived in Sylvan Friday evening, excited to join the throngs of holiday-makers. On Saturday night we went to the dance, which was packed to the teeth. And there, (“Some enchanted evening, across a crowded room”) literally across a sea of unfamiliar faces, I spied the brightest yellow shirt I had ever seen. And the guy inside it looked pretty cute too. The shirt was top grade polyester, the latest thing to hit the fashion scene in post-war Edmonton, such clothes, although the demand was high, were simply not available. Well, somehow, Alice and I got to meet Doug and his friend Bobby, I don’t recall how we actually got to meet these two fellows, who had pulled the same stunt as we had, travelled down to Sylvan Lake from Edmonton for the long weekend. I suspect they scoped us out too, probably attracted by Alice’s beautiful blonde hair, but I truly don’t remember who made the first overtures, the guys or us. Bobby, Doug Naylor’s friend, I thought was a complete goof, so he was no attraction to me….Alice ended up with him for the rest of the weekend, but that petered out as soon as we returned to our homes in the city, she wasn’t much interested in him either. But Doug was another proposition. A big plus for him was the fact that he was pumped by the fact his sister had done his packing for him. I always liked that, family should do things for each other, so that was a plus for him.

At that time, Doug worked at Eaton’s as a stock-boy, so he had access to the newest fashiions, hence the beautiful bright-yellow polyester shirt (30 years later, I remember us talking about that shirt, and him saying, “By the way, where is that shirt…..bet you threw it out, didn’t you??”……well, maybe I did, after 300 trips through the laundry, no doubt).

Well, to continue the story, from that moment on, he attached to me like a post-it note. We saw each other every day, except for the one day a week when I claimed exemption to do the girly things with my room-mates, do my laundry, nails, hair, whatever. We got engaged at Christmas time, and set our wedding date for August 4, 1947. I met and became friends with his family, well, sorta friends…..I liked his dad, he was genuine top-quality English. And his sister was fine too, even though she was five years younger than Doug, she was still a teenager, and not yet fully mature. His mom, my future mother-in-law, was another story. Of course, Doug was quite thoroughly spoiled by his doting mother, maybe that’s what I resented, but truthfully, I never really did like her much. Not that we ever had visible differences, never, I respected her position as my husband’s mother too much to allow that scenario. I guess we were just at opposite ends of the spectrum, and I never got over the feeling that she thought her son had married beneath him…..an unsophisticated FARM girl, who didn’t even know how to polish fine furniture! I don’t really mean to diss Eleanor, she had many good points I’m sure, and she was good to us in lots and lots of ways.

And we made it through 57 years, together, and seven children….not without its ups and downs. Doug worked very hard to support us, despite his lack of education (an indifferent student, he quit school after Grade nine), he did his best, we were never rolling in money, but we had sufficient, and I don’t think we ever had to go hungry. I took care of the finances, Doug never wrote a cheque in his whole life, didn’t have a clue. And after the first hurdles of furnishing our house, I chopped up our credit cards and vowed never again would we go into debt for ANYTHING, except for mortgage and car payments. I learned to sew, Doug learned to use power tools and do simple carpentry, and made many things for the kids and our home, we both learned to make do or do without. I learned to cook well, and that helped us out immeasureably when we began catering as a sideline. It certainly helped us over the rough spots, and taught our children some of the aspects of learning to work for a living….they were our ground crew!

My sanity (sometimes!) was preserved by my church membership, a source of never-ending solace, comfort and knowledge that we are on this earth for a purpose, and we have a loving Father in Heaven who watches over us, I often say it was the smartest thing I ever did in my whole life that I elected to join the LDS church (in September 1952). Sadly, my husband never did accept the gospel, and lived to regret it. In his dying days, he declared “I should’ve joined the church”. Our life together would have been idyllic, I now think sometimes when I get to reminiscing about the past….but then again, maybe that’s just wishful thinking!

10 comments:

  1. WOW!!, those last two pics on your honeymoon page, you both look so stylish, fashionista's they call them now, i don't know why you don't admit how pretty you are...just too modest i suppose. GREAT POST, MOM!! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this! So fun to read life stories, and see the pics from long ago.

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this story so much! I keep begging Kyle to take me for a weekend in Banff, but to him it's not exciting because he's known it all his life. I still would like to, though...

    I have a question! Kyle said that you and Doug (Grandpa Naylor?) used to wash your hair with dish soap. True or false? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Camille, I can't specifically remember that, but it would not surprise me in the least. Probably used it on kids hair, too. I do remember the kitchen counter was long enough to accommodate small bodies, who lay on their backs with heads at the edge of the sink. Heads with sand and varying levels of plain old dirt succumbed quickly to a shot of dish soap, rub, scrub and rinse, towel dry, nobody ended up with soap in their eyes, and several heads could be quickly restored to pristine beauty in 20 minutes or less. I know for sure we only began to purchase shampoo maybe the last ten years of our buying lives. Why pay high prices for fancy-schmancy shampoos with their tons of additives for this that and the next thing, when Palmolive did the same duty, scalps were not irritated, and the hair clean, squeaky and shiny. And one application was enough. Of course, I'd recommend it, it worked for us, with no apparent repercussions, nobody's hair fell out, and none of our kids have gone bald yet. The beauty industry would
    scream bloody murder, but their bottom line is money anyway, and the more hype they can attach to their shampoos the more profit they register in their annual reports. Bah humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mom told me she had dishsoap for shampoo for many years, Aunt Linda used to buy her own and carry hers in a little tote and wouldn't share :) My mom used to remind to bring shampoo and conditioner when i'd come visit cause u wouldn't have any when i was there. Doesn't seem to have wrecked anybody's hair, even though that prob. wouldn't have been fun to brush the tangles out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we all had the soap applied hair cleaning.

    As an aside, sham-poo is chock full of allergens.
    My head itches for days when i use the shampoo. I seem to prefer the hot running water cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristy, everybody's hair was straight as a poker, and the boys had short hair, they never went much for the long hair trend when boys looked like girls. So tangles were never much of an issue....conditioner coats the hair strands, to my way of thinking it's not as good for hair as frequent brushing. Of course, who listens to me??? zilch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I taught her that, supposed self deprecation, to make a point.


    It's true though, conditioner sucks. Might as well slick down your hair with 10W30. Synthetic, if you can afford it.

    (All in fun, here).

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. I still stand by my ThermaSilk and Tres Semme. Way back when it was VO5 lemon cream rinse. Not conditioner. I loved that stuff.

    Wish it was still around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhhhhhhhhhh, the green herbal essense shampoo and CREAM rinse I got to buy when i got my first real job at zellers. I can close my eyes and still smell it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.