Wednesday, April 1
GOOD FOOD (hey, somebody asked!)
k, i got thinking about one of the questions Camille asked me last post, so i chose to stay up and post. sometimes i do in fact get less than 8 hours sleep, but i always catch up. for the sake of free association, i'm going non-cap, less punctuation on this one.
stuff i'll eat at work; spicy hot chicken wings, aka buffalo wings, lots of salads, often with sauteed prawns atop, with balsamic/olive oil, or wasabi/soy vinaigrette, bacon wrapped scallops, milk, oj, aj, clamato, with jalopeno and habanero tabasco added, bison tenderloin, grilled salmon, steamed asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, sometimes chicken fingers, sometimes soup of the day, rarely steamed mussels, bruschetta, cheddar cheese, cocktail prawns, occasional stir fry, dry garlic ribs, a piece of any kind of vegetable if rummaging the cooler or prepping soup, sometimes a strawberry milkshake, rarely fries and gravy, rarely something i make on pasta, scrambled eggs and bacon for brekkie, rarely cheese toast, panko breaded onion rings, sometimes poached salmon, curried mushroom and escargot appetizer, sometimes a beef dip, or a reuben, or a monte cristo sandwich, oranges, apples, honeydew, cantaloupe, strawberries, 12 grain bread, plain/no butter, steamed brussel sprouts, snow peas, i'm running out of stuff quick, i think that's it. in 7 years at the same job, i have NEVER had a dessert. or tasted chocolate, in spite of it being callebaut.
stuff i'll eat at home; milk, rye bread, occasional purchased sub sandwich, chinese delivery, from taipan cafe in chinatown, typical order includes dinner for two, (which could include pork dumplings, beef in black bean, kung po chicken, szechuan pork, chicken with two mushroom, and always, chicken fried rice and spring roll), along with hot and sour soup, and as many orders of salt and pepper bean curd i can afford, micro'd frozen peas, corn, peas and carrots, green beans, or mixed veg, koolaid, safeway potato salad, olivieri ravioli or tortellini, typically beef or chicken filled, spaghetti, spaghettini, penne, or rotini with homemade bolognese, (tomato sauce with carrot, onion, celery, (aka MIREPOIX), herbs and such), sometimes a take home donair, take home KFC, Harveys, Arbys, but never Mickey D's, sushi from sobeys, michelina's small frozen dinners, (had butter chicken on rice yesterday), ripple chips, pretzels or nachos from dollarama, ramen noodles with sriracha, (a very hot vietnamese chili-garlic sauce), dill pickles, any kind of canned soup, preferably hearty style, lipton sidekick pastas, favorite being butter and herb, sliced, salt and peppered tomato, rye and tomato sandwhich, with margarine and dijon, occasionally will add deli meats, turkey, salami, pepperoni preferred, salads, raw veggies and dip, stuffed green olives, shelled salted peanuts or cashews, (again, dollarama), and, if cooked by someone else, i'll eat pretty much anything not on my no eat list. i'm sure there's rare items i'm forgetting. but NEVER pizza. ech.
If i still went to restaurants, ethnicities of restaurants i would frequent; chinese, japanese, thai, vietnamese, indian, french, italian, ethiopian, greek, would like to try mexican, or, with a group, making a group choice, any kind of general north american food. BUT, that's a BIG but, i will NEVER eat at dead lobster again! (Mother). swiss chalet, ok.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey, just noticed it's april fool's day. no foolin' here re my good food list....but if you read this whole post, it might have been foolish of you. i'm just sayin'.
ReplyDeletei'm surprised i never went to the restaurant you work at after living there for a few years. i always saw it but it looked to fancy to go in and since i didn't have much date nights was a little hard to go with kids.
ReplyDeleteyes, it's not really good for kids. pretentious adult stuff mostly, certainly not a family restaurant. and way too expensive, i'd never eat there, if i had to pay for it. the bison tenderloin steak i have every few weeks is 38 bucks a plate, in the dining room. i'd rather go to red robin for a nice burger.
ReplyDeleteDang you, Jeff! this list just made me HUNGRY, I agree with lots of those choices, but for sure, I don't get many of them here. In fact, change the "many" to "any". They don't seem to be able to handle home-made soups, actually home-made anything....it's all pre-formed, fast cook meats, mostly....frozen veggies (I hate them)....Canned fruits, although tonight they had nice fresh cantelope and fresh pineapple pieces, and a slice of cheese (probably mild cheddar, I like old cheddar).Always hot cooked cereals, sunny boy,Red River, rolled oats, or bran flakes with raisins...nix to all of these. But they do bake some awesome buns, and also serve croissants occasionally, rarely with a chicken or egg salad filling. I've quit crabbing, it does no good, just makes everybody unhappy. If I don't like it, I don't eat it....period.
ReplyDeleteGuess I'm foolish; I read it all! And I was so glad you answered my questions. I'm not hungry, but I was drooling over your lists. I'll eat anything you listed on your will-eats, and most things on your won't-eats.
ReplyDeleteWhat happened at Red Robster (as Linda calls it)? I like their cheddar biscuits!
Well I am defending Red Lobster...I LOVE cheddar biscuits. I always have the grilled fresh salmon, and it is always lovely. And I like that the garden salads are served in chilled plates. And the honey mustard dressing is yummy.
ReplyDeleteThe diet coke is tasty...
oh, i'm just teasing poor red robster. i don't mind it so much, i suppose if i went i would have the grilled salmon like Linda..salmons always good.
ReplyDeletenothing really happened there, but after mom sold the house, she took us all to RR in Etown, perhaps i wasn't hungry, i probably am picky, but i couldn't find anything on the menu appealing, i think i just had an appetizer and a salad. i know, seems a shame not to go for the big ticket items when someone else is paying. I didn't notice the cheddar biscuits, but they sound good....i just don't eat much breads and baked goods. Don't know why.
since they're always right beside each other, i might have had more success at the olive garden, they have some pretty good pastas, and i do QUITE like the big bowl of salad, and hot bread thingys each table gets. i sould always try to get all the hot banana peppers from the salad bowl first, they were the best part. then i'd ask for more salad.
erp....that would be, "i WOULD always try to get....
ReplyDeleteme likey spicy.
Camille, edmonton has some pretty decent mexican restaurants, maybe we should check one out when y'all come up here. i've never really had good mexican, just fast food type, taco bell, taco time. i do have a soft shell beef taco when i visit the downtown dollarama, being it's in the food fair and all. Extra tomato, and the spicy green enchilada sauce..that's at taco time. only 2 bucks. me likey cheapy.
Know what would be really nice.....if everybody reading this would comment on their favorite restaurant food, the restaurant they ate it in, and why it's so special to them. I think that would be so interesting, and also give some of us ideas on good eateries to try out sometime in the future? Or even talk about meals served in their own homes, or favorite meals they serve to their families?
ReplyDeleteFood is always a favorite subject with me, I could read recipe books non-stop 24/7.
I was reading your Olive Garden comment thinking, "Maybe we should take Uncle Jeff to Olive Garden when we're there," and then I saw the next part! Great minds...
ReplyDeleteYes, Mexican food would be AWESOME! I'd save up calories all WEEK to feel good about eating anything at a Mexican restau. (that's what the french people I lived with called restaurants: restaus.
We had contemplated coming up this weekend because it's Conference (which means one week I wouldn't have to bother someone to play the organ for me), but it's been to hectic. Hopefully within a month or two! Probably after I get back from AZ, because before AZ, I have to focus on school. Blech.
Sounds good Camille. Weekends are good for me, i never work them. Just let me know a few days in advance...i don't do much on most weekends 'cept a little grocery shopping, and relaxxin'.
ReplyDelete