Sunday, April 12

followup


Just a few more pictures of the dinner last night at Shannon's place, in reference to Granny's comment on the previous post. Jack and his birthday cake, Camille's delicious dinner rolls, and the cooling turkey.


15 comments:

  1. Dang! Now I'm getting hungry all over again...these reality pics should come with aroma. I'm salivating for turkey in those buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm... me 2. i really need to do a turkey dinner at my house one time so i get all the leftovers :) those buns do look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kristy, you are ON. I will bring you a turkey back from the cabin freezer, as many as u want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now there's an offer you can't refuse, Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon! Yoohoo out there! I don't know if you even follow this blog....but I just thought of something to do with deep frying turkeys. Of course, this means NO GRAVY, doesn't it? But here's what you do to produce gravy when you want to have mashed potatoes with the DFT. You know the little pkg of giblets that comes with the bird? put them on to simmer with about 3 cups of water and let them cook and cook and cook until all the flavour is wrung out of them! Keep topping up the water as it boils away, you need about 3 cups of the turkey flavored juice. When you're ready to make the gravy, put about 3 tbsp flour and the same amount of butter (you love butter, so could add a little more if you want), into a fry pan and stir over med-hi heat until the mixture turns a deep golden brown. Don't let it burn! Then, strain the turkey juice through a sieve (slowly) into the flour-butter mixture, stirring like crazy, add salt and pepper and maybe 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning or sage. Hey presto, GRAVY! Chuck the dead giblets. Give it a try and see if it works. Thanks for the potato casserole recipe, hope the kitchen takes the hint here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, Mom's turkey gravy, with leftover turkey, on toast. We had that alot at 9257. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like dad, my boys prefer that over the turkey dinner anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta say I love your blog title. It's simple, it's fact, it's a little snarky. Nice!
    Looking at pictures of these dinners always make me long for a nap. The turkey is THAT good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is that a deep fried turkey? never had one before, what's the taste difference? what does people prefer who have had both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, that's a deep fried turkey, Kristy. I've never had one, so can't say anything about taste difference. Maybe Granny can answer that question for you. Granny?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moist, tasty, no greasiness that I could detect. Certainly tasted as good as any oven-roasted turkey I've ever had. I have no idea how long it takes, and what other advantages there might be. Nathan and/or Shannon are the ones to ask, I still prefer the old-fashioned way of cooking a turkey, with the dressing inside, which makes for better flavour even if it's against all the present-day rules, simply because you have drippings when you're finished
    and IF IT'S COOKED RIGHT, you can make lovely brown wonderful gravy. Of course, I had a roasting pan that cooked a 25 lb. turkey in 4 hours, it's at the cabin now. It has cooked hundreds of turkeys in its day (62 years) May it never wear out! But follow the rules! Take the dressing out as soon as it comes out of the oven. Cool out for 1/2 hour, carve, make your gravy and serve! (Along with the mashed potatoes, the dressing, cheesed onions, mushrooms in cream, green peas in butter sauce, and mashed turnips. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pfftt! Hundreds of turkeys.

    After cooking school, i worked for a local big caterer for 3 years, i cooked all the hot food, the plebes made the sandwichy stuff..i cooked, on average, 20 turkeys a week, overnight in a slooow oven. That's THOUSANDS of turkeys. Fortunately, i don't do that anymore, so eating turkey has gone back to being a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, btw, have you noticed how SOME people never stop talking about food? Like they're starving away somewhere. Lodge like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to add, a little late to the discussion, that Mom's turkey gravy remains the best ever! When Randy and I would go for turkey dinner, we'd bring home leftover turkey complete with some gravy so we could feast on toasted sandwiches the next day! And when I made turkey dinner at our place, Mom would have to make the gravy because mine just didn't cut it!!!Kristen and Karina now love the same thing, and they think mine is great; I'm sure if they ever tasted hers they'd convert on me straight away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speak the truth and in advance with your representative about your low FICO assessment record. It never can help to claim that you owe short of what you owe in light of the fact that your agent may not locate the absolute best arrangement for you after the actualities come in. Payday Loans

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.