
In reference to the previous post, this is the house we first lived in, mostly, Linda, Judy, Rob, Debbi, Randy. I was there for ten months only. I would guess Mother Marion is standing on the sidewalk afront said house. It's close by my place, i can see it from my windows.
OK, now, everybody, tell me about 9630-99A ave. By everybody, i mean my sisters that lived there long enough to remember it.
ReplyDeleteThis stuff is important to me too.
By the by, i meant 99A St.
ReplyDeleteSo kill me, certain details escape me.
The old place has had a new roof and a very ugly white paint job....at least I think it's ugly. I preferred the old brown bricky finish. See that little front porch, though....it was sorta special. The babies used to sleep out there in their pram....that's where I discovered our big black fuzzy cat trying its best to smother Judy.
ReplyDeleteI was 7 and under there. I remember the ridiculous long walks to school, usually in the dark of winter, mornings anyways. Dad bundled us up so tight in scarves, I could barely move. I remember on a few bitter blizzard mornings some kind bus driver would stop and offer us a free ride, knowing we had no money. Kind person! Of course the Armstrong girls were already on the bus cause they were rich and all....lol
ReplyDeleteI remember every single saturday doing our chores....mine was usually washing walls. Then dad would give us a range of 10 cents and up to 25 cents and off we would run to that little store. chocolate bars were 7 cents, but i always bought mojos 3 for 1 cent so i could hoard them in a little box and have 2 or 3 a day. Suffer the little ones! No wonder im so stingy!
Sounds like you older kids did more chores than the three younger boys. And MOJOS three for a penny? Wow, when i was buying them, in elementary school, they were 2 cents each. Nothing get's cheaper eh.
ReplyDeleteI just remember that when Linda was little, when you asked her where she lived, she invariably replied, "Ninety Ninety Ninety Street." As I recall, didn't Sandy live upstairs when he was going to university, plus assorted others (Alan Sullivan and his Dad, and Bob maybe?) I seem to remember hearing about Bob and a friend of his scaring the bejabers out of little kids on Hallowe'en as they came trick-or-treating, which is why I assume Bob lived there for a time as well. --cmn
ReplyDeleteOh yes, Chris, you're right....both Sandy and Bob lived with us for years, and assorted other friends too. It was Bob and Allan that dressed up in white sheets and hid behind the honeysuckle bush in front of the steps (by the way, where did it go? maybe we cut it down). When the little kids came up to the steps shouting Hallowe'en Apples, those two ditzy guys would make these horrible groans and screams, and then descend on the kids flapping their ghostly sheets. No mums and dads came with the kids in those days! Bob and Allan (they called each other Palsy) had the best time! Neighbors had more fun way back then, Fern Harrod dressed up as an Indian one year, complete with mask and long scraggly black hair, and came to our door....and I didn't know her from Adam, or Eve I should say.
ReplyDelete