I thought, on a light note, i could post the other picture from the back of gramma m.'s back porch.
I wonder if it's Judy taking this picture?
Like the other picture, it's still four generations. Because David in the back is the baby davey's uncle. Did mom plan the theme for these two pictures, or did the camera person for this picture coax her onto the screen?
I don't remember dad being up there much, mostly mom driving us out in one of the VW beetles.
So i'm guessing it was Judy.
Conspicuously, they chose David over Moi, to represent! the third generation. That was the style back then. Multi-gen pics.
Mom had some big hair then. Wore it with style, don't ya think?
I have the same themed picture, taken at our house, on the very long couch, with a more pastoral a pose, (and even bigger hair). If you're interested.
YAAAAY, i did a short post! I'm a super doofus.
Well that big hair was mother's wig. They were pretty popular back then. I didn't spend a lot of time at granny's "wee hoose" in Vermilion. I have more memories of her living with us in Edmonton when I was a young teenager.
ReplyDeleteAh, the good old days.
After my dad died in 1958, my mother was living at the farm five meals east of Vermilion, and since all of her five children wanted her to come live with them, she went around to each one Chris, Bob, Sandy and me, and spent two months at each place. Then decided she was independent to live by herself, so that was when she bought her little house in Vermilion. And was there all by herself, I suppose it must have been 15-20 years. She was getting on in age by this time, prone to drifting off for a little nap when her supper was cooking on the stove, and we were worried sick she would burn the house down around her ears. So one morning, she woke up and said to herself, "I'm going to the lodge!" And so she did, and was very happy there as she lived out the rest of her days. Her sister Jennie Holte, moved into the lodge right next door to her, and was a great help to her. They pooled their resources after their brother, Uncle Tom, died and left them a quarter of a million.....bought a wheelchair and made some other gifts to the lodge. They were great ladies, our wonderful Wilson line.
ReplyDeleteYes, the "big hair" was a wig....as Linda says, they were popular then, because you didn't have to be doing your hair all the time, but they were unbearably hot and the fad wore pretty thin after a bit. It felt like you were wearing a tight fitting cloche all the time. So that stage didn't last long. Now I get my hair done here at the lodge every Thursday morning, for the ridiculous sum of $10. Well, I always give her $12, because I figure it's only fair. She is an excellent hairdresser, named DAYNA, super fast, she does my hair in 20 minutes. Just another perk in my beautiful lodge.
ReplyDeleteI saw all the wigs, and the styrofoam heads they rested on.
ReplyDeleteI've always preferred a natural haircut, from the time Dad and I went to the barber on Whyte ave, 97th st, for my usual brushcut. Still wearing the same do, now.
wow, i could not handle wigs that's 4 sure. nowadays fake hair that are in the form of scrunchies are now getting popular i've noticed. not the whole head of hair but just bits of some that looks like the normal hair.
ReplyDeleteLinda, that's interesting, so many of your memories will be different from mine, because you're the firstborn...i don't remember gramma m. living with us at 9257-86st, but she did seem to come down fairly often to babysit me and the bros, i think when mom went on SLC trips.
ReplyDeleteMom, that's a good deal on a haircut, the barber i'm using right now for my super short hair is a block away from work, on Whyte, charges 14 bucks for a cut, i pay 16. Dad taught me, always tip your barber, and they'll remember your style better. Seems there's so many middle eastern barbers here now...they sure cut good hair. My usual haircut; number 2 clipper guard on sides and back, inch long on top. Same as when i first went to a barber. It was more like, Whyte and 93st where the barber was then, in that little strip mall across from the current day Value Village.
ReplyDeleteKristy, yeah, Granny's wigs looked pretty uncomfortable...like a really really tight hat all over your head. I'm sure she was glad to get rid of them.
ReplyDeleteFunny though, now her hairdresser at the lodge has the same name as your sister. Must have been a popular name some years back. I wonder if this other Dayna is similar in age to your sister Dayna.
i'm just glad i can keep my hair super short, and never have to deal with it. I don't even get bed head.
Hi All! Yep, my Dayna hairdresser has the same name as my granddaughter Dayna, but she's a fair bit older, her youngest is still home (in Grade X11 I think), she has another daughter at BYU Ricks. She's very pretty like our Dayna, has long brownie-blonde curls and a very sweet face. I just wish she would clip my toe nails for me like our Dayna does, DARN, I miss being close to her. Wonder if she reads this blog of Jeff's...HI DAYN!
ReplyDeleteJust thought of something interesting relative to our Dayna's name. I was there when Debbie and Steve were discussing her name, and suggested she have the same initials as her mom, (as in Debra Christine) because she was born on her mom's birthday, 18 May. Now that also happened to be her mom's fate, to be given her dad's initials (as in Douglas Cyril Naylor) she became D. C. N. also). So the tradition carried on because all three, father, daughter and grand-daughter shared the same birthday. Am I making myself clear, or is everybody completely confused? Suffice it to say, one time we all celebrated by going to the "Free dinner-on-your-birthday" deal at Mother Tucker's in Calgary.....oh oh, tough day on the establishment, three free dinners at one table! Steve and I were the only ones that had to pay that day. Icidentally, seems to me Deb and Steve were cheesed off when Steve's sister "stole" the name they really planned on for Dayna! What were the details on that one, Deb?
ReplyDeleteHow interesting, i didn't know Dayna was a D.C. also. I knew about the birthday thing. If she's not reading, Kristy, get your sister to read grannys comments about her. And your mom too. :-)
ReplyDeleteGeneva, YAY, you're my first follower. You've got such a cool name btw. Everybody, say hi to Geneva.She's got a really smart and funny blog called "hazardous Undertakings", you can find it on Camille's reading list, on her blog. She's a good friend of Camille, and a pretty smart school teacher, i would say.
ReplyDeletelol thanks Granny! you are so sweet I love you!!!! yes I finally got the right link sent to me and I have been addicted to reading it since:) So interesting!
ReplyDeleteHIYA DAYNA, i'm glad you're reading, as you can see, Granny kinda half writes this blog, with her many comments. Just what i was looking for, a family and friends blog.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletedeleted the previous post cause i forgot to add something to my comments
ReplyDeleteya i think she's reading it now. i never noticed that mom and grandpa had the same initials either. Dayna has alot of pressure on her to get a may 18th baby now, was close with Drew. Chelsea was what she was going to be called and aunt sue wanted her first daughters name Chelsea.
Kristy, yeah, totally, talk about pressure. Your aunt Sue, i knew her when i was in high school, and would come to Calgary to visit y'all..i remember hanging out with her at a big youth conference and dance at the 17th ave stake center.
ReplyDeleteWell, HI THERE, GENEVA! I don't really know who you are, but if you're Camille's friend, then I guess you're one of our's too! So welcome to the Naylor clan, we are pleased to have someone "lurking in the shadows!". Ouch, sounds ominous, but it's not really. And I agree, you have a nice name....reminds me of Switzerland (I've never been there, but my nephew Allen Morrison lived there for some
ReplyDeleteyears, job connected, and I'm pretty sure they were right in Geneva, too).
Well I feel left out! I hate being left out, so I suppose I ought to comment. Most notably, I'm glad I don't feel pressured to wear a wig or produce a child by May 18th, as both would be highly unlikely. Also, I really do enjoy your family history posts. Maybe to you they are just memories, but I really do view them as family history. Considering I'm only family by marriage, it is nice for me to get to know more about the Naylor clan.
ReplyDeleteIn my book, because i don't know any better, marriage is family. In my mind, i call you Camille, but if someone asked me to, i would call you, my niece Camille. To me it seems so obvious, that joining a family has everything to do with marrying. I shy away from the in law stuff. The law is flawed.
ReplyDelete