universal health care
homemade comedy
the mixing pot
polar bears
tuna casserole
ducks
loonies
an entertaining monarch
weather i'm used to
mountains, lakes, and lots of trees
two languages
feeling like smalltown
cable tv from all over
peacefulness
fries and gravy
easy travel
attracting kind souls from elsewhere
the clean air after snow
actually laughing out loud
manmade lakes in the river valley that freeze enough to be skated on
the kindness of strangers..sometimes life saving
bus drivers that say "good morning" with a smile
family
a barely noticeable government
my memories of every moment i've been here.
Ta'dum.
do you love something about Canada? Care to share? i'd love to hear it.
A nice national anthem.
ReplyDeleteThree deer in front of my window, small town Alberta.
Lovely ladies that come and give us manicures. service project from 6th Ward Relief Society.
Tim Hortons timbits.
Old Chief standing out from all the other mountains.
The mountains from Lethbridge.
The mountains from Mountain View.
Mott's Extra Spicy Clamato juice.
Swiss Chalets only in Canada.
Alberta, no-debt province.
Ethnicity.
Freedom.
Chinook winds.
Prairie vistas, see forever.
A simple flag, not all cluttered up with stars and stripes.
Coyotes howling at the moon.
Farm folk.
"Have I told you lately that I love you?"
Caring people.
Superb library system.
Double highways all over the place.
Endless opportunities to learn, and to serve.
O CANADA! OUR HOME AND NATIVE LAND.
poutine, don't forget poutine
ReplyDeletehiking in the mountains
pretty money
Canada geese (overhead, not underfoot)
coffee crisp candy bars
free medical
clean air
you guys said the rest
Mom-Excellent list. heheh, little political with the flag comment eh.'tis all in fun.
ReplyDeleteLinda Rae-another excellent list.i don't think i've ever had poutine though but i'll trust ya on that one.
oh don't let Lee find out you have never had poutine, he served his mission in quebec where poutine is huge there. he's forever talking about it. My favourite food item that is in Canada is Old Dutch Potato Chips, Can't stand any other brands.
ReplyDeleteKristy-well, if you don't tell him, i won't.
ReplyDeletei eat any kind of chips, whatever there is at the DOLLARAMA.
Oh, I do wish you would try poutine. If you're worried about the health aspects, I have a good recipe for homemade oven-baked fries that are reasonably good, and I'm sure you could round up some excellent gravy and curds.
ReplyDeleteIt's really yummy.
Camille-i know it sounds strange, but i really don't have the appetite for rich, fatty foods. I barely do fries and gravy. (I do make the gravy at work, and most other sauces, and all stocks and soups, that's sort of my specialty there.in the classical french cooking scheme, i would be the 'saucier').
ReplyDeletei think i've only seen cheese curd at safeway.
but when you come up to see the mall, if we run into some poutine, i'll split it with ya. I might end up eating the smaller portion though. you know, the eat like a squirrel thing you spoke of at ArchivesLives.com. it's just a natural part of me. got it from my dad. though granny would call him a "fussy" eater.