I nicked the line "Precious memories, how they linger", from one of my Dad's favorite songs, sang by the Statler Brothers. Country Gospel is one of the many genre of music i love. If you like country gospel, look up this song, it's quite lovely. Lyrics here within.
Precious memories, unseen angels,
Sent from somewhere to my soul,
How they linger, ever near me,
And the sacred past unfold.
Precious memories,
how they linger,
How they ever flood my soul,
In the stillness of the midnight,
Precious, sacred scenes unfold.
Precious father, loving mother,
Fly across the lonely years,
And old homescenes of my childhood,
In fond memory appears.
Precious memories, how they linger,
How they ever flood my soul,
In the stillness of the midnight,
Precious, sacred scenes unfold.
In the stillness of the midnight,
Echoes from the past I hear,
Old time singing, gladness bringing,
From that lovely land somewhere.
Precious memories, how they linger,
How they ever flood my soul,
In the stillness of the midnight,
Precious, sacred scenes unfold.
As I travel on life's pathway,
Know not what the years may hold,
As I ponder, hope grows fonder,
Precious memories flood my soul.
Precious memories, how they linger,
How they ever flood my soul,
In the stillness of the midnight,
Precious, sacred scenes unfold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey, Jeff, You've chosen one of my most favorite songs, I play it really often. Simple tune, wonderful words. It's in my Family Songbook of Faith and Joy. Evokes many precious memories of how Dad and I spent our evenings at 9257 listening to our great collection of CD's. I still have them all, and play them often (as do others) on my little combo player which reclines out in the common area, right beside my keyboard. Gospel music (Gaither), country-western (Johnny Cash, Eddy Arnold) my favorites Abba and Nana, Jessye Norman singing The Holy City. Ah! Precious memories, how they linger....
ReplyDeleteI have to sign in as Anonymous because Google is doing its "Identify yourself" exercise again, and I can't remember my password. But you know who I am ... UNOHOO.
Oh how Dad loved southern gospel music...the louder and deeper the bass, the better. The walls would vibrate when he cranked up the stereo. And Dad had a pretty good singing voice, as he'd sing along.
ReplyDeleteHe loved music. He really did.
Mom, you mean all the cd's i burned for you and dad? sort of legally downloaded? I remember making 11 cd's worth of stuff by that irish singer dad loved so much. can't remember his name. did you set up your google account, or did linda, i remember mentioning it to her...if so, maybe she knows your password.
ReplyDeleteLindaRae, yeah, i remember the shaking house syndrome. I got a lot of my broad tastes in music from two music loving parents, and 6 music loving siblings. When i lived at home, i was playing Leonard Cohen, in the basement, Mom was puttering around cleaning, and humming along. I asked her how she knew the tune, she said, "your older brother and sisters used to play that all the time".
Daniel O'Donnell is the Irish guy. And yes, I was the Leonard Cohen freak. Find his "Hallelujah" on YouTube...I love it.
ReplyDeleteRight, Daniel O'Donnell.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, i first heard Leonard Cohen from you. Thanks for the influence. I'll check out "Hallelujah".
It's probably you and Judy i got my love of folk music from, mostly sixties folk music, hippie music. I wonder sometimes if Judy got the name Melanie from Melanie Safka, who sang, "look what they've done to my song, Ma".
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to be in a musical family..even though just a few of us play any instruments. I'm a good singer, i'm told. And, i hear all this great music in my head all the time.
I can't recall if I've ever heard it before. I'll have to look it up.
ReplyDeleteyes you've heard it lots, Camille. It's the Shrek theme song. My favorite rendition of it is by Lind, Nilsen, Fuentes og Holm
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRhm4dB7UDg
Makes me shiver to hear this...
Woohoo! I just listened to Hallelujah by that group, Linda, makes me shiver too. So nice. Now I wish somebody could find a recording online of Precious Memories so Camille can hear the tune. I think Jim Reeves recorded it during his short career, I'm pretty sure I have that one on CD. And I think maybe Daniel O'Donnell too.....by the way, Jeff, I have those CD's you burnt for Dad and I still, (actually David did some for Dad too, country-western ones)....I play Daniel's music frequently here, and people keep coming along to ask, "Who is that? He has a wonderful voice!" Love those recordings...remember the special CD you did for me, you called it Mom's Music, had all my favorites on it. Remember the Alexander Bros on "These are my mountains, and this is my glen......the days of my childhood, will know me again....Lilting Scottish songs, you burnt another one you called "Old Scottish Sangs" )using the vernacular).
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpbHt7Cqjd8 this is sung from Willie Nelson
ReplyDeleteMom, yeah, i remember all those Scottish CD's, i still have a few of my own, my fave i called "Dun Eistein" after the legended ancient castle home of Clan Morrison, on the isle of Lewis. Lot's of bagpipes on that collection. I sometimes use it to irritate my loud neigbours. The pipes carry as well through walls as over mountain and dale.
ReplyDeleteLinda Rae, that's a BEAUTIFUL rendition of that song, i didn't shiver, but i had the goosebumps, and i cried. I always cry for beautiful music. Well, for anything moving. Remember me during your eulogy for Dad, before you were done, i had already used up all the Kleenex in the mini pack you slipped me when we left the Relief Society room..so i just had to let the tears, (and running nose) accumulate on the suit coat i was wearing, which i inherited from Dad. Those are the things i'm NOT giving away, btw, peeps, all the clothes i have of dads. His clothes have always fitted me perfectly, and he has been handing them down to me most of my life.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the youtube link.
Kristy, HEY THERE, nice to see ya...i haven't heard precious memories by Willy Nelson..i'll go listen to your youtube link now. Your grandpa Naylor had a Willy Nelson album btw, he loved country music, as do i.
KRISTY, that's an awesome recording, and 7 and a half minutes long, wow, very reverential. And lovely scenes of nature. You sure share a lot of traits with your grandpa.
ReplyDeleteWow! just listened to all three of the Precious Memories renditions, by Willie, The Statlers and by Emmy Lou Harris and Chet Atkins. Willie's is the best I think, (but then I'm not crazy about the Statlers, the finale by the bass singer redeems it a bit, but the piano is too overpowering throughout, harmony good). Emmy Lou's is quite nice, and she ties in with Chet Atkins' instrumental, know that he was one of the greatest guitarists out of Nashville, he could play anything with strings....backup singers do a great job on this one. But I will tell you that the two recordings I mentioned previously, Daniel O'Donnell's and Jim Reeves', have them all beat. Too bad they're not available online. Anyway, it's a lovely lyrical song, for those of us who are not highbrow musicians in the first place.
ReplyDeleteUh Oh ! Forgot to say a big thank-you to Linda and Kristy for providing those sites for both those songs. So much easier than having to look them up for myself.
ReplyDelete