Wednesday, February 18

One Picture, One Post

I've decided i can talk about just one picture per post, and this is the result. This is a picture taken by granny/mom/marion off the back porch of my gramma Morrison's house, in Vermilion, Alberta. A lovely wee hoose, i remember it well. Funny thing, it's easier to guess David's age than my own in this picture. Though the photographer would certainly remember more detail than i. So, in the plainness of listed identities, starting from the left, we have, my Gramma Morrison, Christina Graham nee Wilson Morrison. The best gramma i've ever had. (Sorry, snipped that from dad, always saying, "Min, this is the best supper i've had today"...what a card), my gramma who when babysitting me once dealt with me having stepped, in bare feet, on a nail , in a board, in the backyard. Why it was there, i would think there had been recent carpentry on the houseward post for the clothesline, and i walked into another accident. Prone, even. The nail went through the top of my left foot, dragged the board into the kitchen, granny m. extracted it, disinfected the wound, very little bleeding involved, missed anything vascular, patched it up, and i was good as new. Good old Scottish medicine. Didn't need any shots, to heck with that, i survived. Good old Scottish immunity. I still rely on it today.

Sitting on the porch, hanging on her great gramma, is Melanie Anne Francis Fredette, my oldest niece. It's so interesting, she still has that welcoming, loving face to this very day. She (probably comically) calls me her favourite uncle. That might mean she's a bit like me...kooky.

Then there's my second eldest sister, Judith Anne Naylor, you'll hear more about her some later post, she's a lot of memory to me. Suffice it to say, she saved me from being called 'Russell', at birth. THANK YOU, SISTER JUDY.

And in her lap, her second child, my nephew, David Arthur Joshua Fredette. I request mom/granny to comment regarding Davey boy, she knows most of us better than we know ourselves. I would rather hear her insights regarding Davey than imagining my own.

Next, to the east, is my brother, David Andrew Naylor. (The house faced north, thus the bright sun lighting this picture). The youngest one of our sibling group, with the olive complexion few others had. We used to tell him he was found on the doorstep, and/or, he was indian. Native Canadian. Nice, eh? Poor, poor Davey. Never, ever, ask to be born last. And in the fine tradition of Naylor practicality, he's wearing tan cotton pants that i wore some years before.
The slinky boy is me, looks like the slinky just came out of the box, as you can see, it wasn't my first slinky. But the slinking down the stairs trick was more interesting than the hand to hand spring travel. Here though, i seem rather interested. The shirt? From a matching set, made by mom for me and my dad. The pants? I don't remember them much, but they came from a store. Very stylish early 70's. I still match prints and stripes. I blame it on the slinky.

12 comments:

  1. I miss the days when clothes were homemade. I should bust out my sewing machine...

    You look SO enthralled with your slinky. What a great shot. I like these photo-posts. I hope you don't delete this blog---it would be a shame to lose this digital family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Judy always came home to Edmonton to show off her new babies as soon as they were old enough to travel. I don't remember exactly where they were living when David was born, maybe they were still in Sioux Lookout, Ontario, where husband David Fredette was stationed with the paratroopers. They were also stationed for a time in Nova Scotia and yet another time at Sooke on Vacouver Island, suburb of Victoria, if I remember right. The children were very sweet, very well behaved. The family didn't have much in the way of material goods but they managed. I remember us visiting them on the Island, and we gifted the kids with some new clothes, the dress I bought for Mel (it was pink, I remember that much) she treasured forever, and I'm sure wore it for years until she had completely and very obviously grown out of it. I visited them too, when they were stationed at another army base in Ontario, forget the name of it, but I have pictures somewhere that I took on that trip. I don't think Dad was with me that time, must have been when Mother and I went down east to visit Sandy and his family in Ottawa. My mum wanted to go, but she was getting past the age of travelling by herself, so she paid for my ticket and I went with her. What a great grandma she was to all you kids! And the best mother to her own family we could ever wish for. She had 28 grandchildren when she passed away and they all loved her practically to the point of reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille; You're right, i regret losing the work i did in 'burnt cookies', and i'm not going to delete this one. Learned my lesson. I do enjoy talking about these slide conversions, and i've got 84 others, so i won't run out of material anytime soon. And hey, slinky's ROCK.
    Mom;thanks for the extra info, Judy was also at Souix Lookout, Ontario, and Digby, Nova Scotia. I visited her in Digby when i flew cross country, about age 12, on STANDBY, waiting hours for open flights in Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. I guess we decided i knew what i was doing. Ended up in Fredericton to visit my friend Kenny Nielson, and we then drove with his dad to St. John and took a HUGE ferry across the bay of Fundy, where Judy picked us up. After a few days there, the whole family, which included Jared by then, drove in Dave's white van down the eastern seaboard, through Maine, Vermont, Pennsylvania, New York, where we visited Auntie Teenie, and eventually to Washington D.C., to see the temple there, very impressive structure. Also, saw the hill Cumorah, the Smith house, sacred grove....oh, gettysburg, PA was cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Camille, you should bust out your sewing machine, make something stylin for PK. Anyone that can sew deserves a certain reverence, in my view. I was always afraid of getting my clumsy fingers pierced by that quick flyin' needle, when Mom would sew. She could sew anything...she made those pants David is wearing, originally for me, and a matching pair for Randy. I'll post a pic of He and I wearing them, when i do my 'Storyland Valley Zoo' spiel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, oops, you already mentioned Sioux Lookout, see what happens when i speed read?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you can remember so many things. Im amazed. I cannot believe you went jetting around when you were that young. Im still a basket case sending Shawn back and forth to school and hes in University.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, my sister, yeah, i was a good traveller, it was fun, wish i was still flying around the country. I guess Mom trusted me...or she was trying to get rid of me..LOL. At the end of the driving trip with Judy, there was a big Hurricane coming, and i had to fly home from Washington D.C, through Minneapolis, before they grounded all the planes on the east coast. Funny thing is, i remember that airport in Minneapolis was almost the same as the one in Winnipeg...and both very boring..as far as airports go. But the Toronto and Montreal airports were awesomely huge, quite a thing to see for a young kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom, i just remembered the other base they lived at in Ontario..Petewawa. The base on Vancouver Island was called Esquimalt, and was part of the town of Nanaimo. Randy and I went out there to stay a few weeks, when Davey Fredette was a toddler..i remember Me and Randy were always fighting, which was unusual for us, and that i made an uncooked chocolate cake just from stuff i found in Judy's cupboard, and it was good. I tried to dry a sunfish we found on the beach, in Judy's backyard, but it just went to rot. Sun wasn't hot enough i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah! you were lucky to find enough stuff in Jude's cupboard to make a cake with! One time when I arrived at her place in Penhold (This was after she and Dave Sr. split), I was absolutely appalled to open her fridge and see in it the sum total of 1 pkg of weiners and a small bottle of mustard. Truly I nearly threw a fit! "Oh, that's OK," says she, "It's payday tomorrow!" (She was working at the base doing some obscure job at the time). I had to be beyond observant, she would never ask for help! Over that dreadful time, we often bought food for a hamper and took or sent it to them. They've had it pretty tough at times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and thanks for remembering the other Kincade girl's name... of course.....how could I forget Natalie? You think she was chunky as a girl! When I last saw Nat (she and her husband Bro. Hoy are valued members of the Connors Hill Ward in Edmonchuck), she was reaching for 300 lbs. Enormous is the only word applicable, but so pleasant, jovial, helpful....babysits for lots of families where the mom is out working. Natalie runs a day care in her home, of very happy kids, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just imagine. Fortunately Melanie learnt her Gramma's way of stocking a kitchen. You should see her fridge..it's so full she should have a second one, like we did at 9257-86th st. I've only eaten dinner made by two of your granddaughters, Kristy, and Melanie, and they're both excellent cooks. And Mel always says she learned how to cook, and create recipes from you, when she would help you in the kitchen when she was a youngin'. I think Kristy might have inherited some of your 'foody'ness also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's pretty big. Natalie was always that way in regards to her charity, and comfort with people. She was the second oldest, i knew her pretty well also, she was the smartie in the bunch, so i enjoyed her wit, and her jovial personality.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.