Friday, August 28

Marion goes to Edmonton.

After a delightful three days in my old town Edmonton....well, not entirely three, the first and the last entailed some 6 hours of travel thereto and back. For the purpose of attending my cousin's funeral in St. Albert, where he lived in a seniors' residence this last 8 or 9 years. Since I had been asked to say a few words at the funeral, (that is, deliver 1/2 the eulogy, the first half at that!) I had to get there, know what I mean, familial responsibility, etc. So I first of all checked out the possibility of flying there, and when I picked my shattered self up off the floor (600 smackers there and back, Lethbridge to Edmonton.....duh...), I appealed as always to my dear daughter Linda Rae. Fortunately, she is strong on familial loyalty too, and very helpful to her mother, because she readily said YES, she would drive me up to Edm to take in the whole works. And that we did, going on six hours each way.....Linda is an indestructible driver, full speed ahead no matter what the conditions. Well, it was beautiful weather actually, couldn't complain.

The first night, we met up with sons Dave and Jeff at the Swiss Chalet on 51 Avenue and had a lovely time together, pigging out on their new menu with vast amounts of food, and chatting it up. I bedded and breakfasted at my dear friend Ruth's house just four doors up the street from our old home in Strathearn area where we lived for 54 years. And that was pure pleasure, to catch up with our mutual friends and acquaintances' doings, and to partake of the Behr's truly wonderful hospitality. I was able to snatch a half hour to visit another neighbor, across the alley from where we lived, my Greek friend Mersa, and she and I paid a brief visit to hang over the back fence of our old house. I tell you, the sight about turned my stomach.....but then I moaned about it on Facebook, so have a look there. Tragic. We tried so hard to keep our house and yard up, it makes me feel bad to see it neglected so thoroughly.

The next day was the funeral, so most of it was taken up. Bail had been cremated, so the "internment" was into a beautiful urn, and thence into one of those vaulted walls in the cemetery which are designed to hold just the ashes of the departed one. There was a very small gathering for this ceremony, while a piper played "Amazing Grace", about ten family and really close friends gathered about while the United Church minister said a few words according to the rites of that church. Short period of socializing.....then on to the memorial funeral service itself.

The funeral was organized by my first cousin once removed, Rob Holte, who lives and works in Edmonton, and let me tell you, he is the epitome of graciousness and good taste. I can truthfully say the funeral was one of the nicest I have ever attended. Contrary to what I expected, there was a sizeable crowd, about a hundred, I'd think. Baillie was a dedicated church-goer, so there were many friends from the church, and popular with his fellow residents at Ironwood Estates, where he lived. Although the family group was small, (Baillie had no siblings except brother Ken who died a number of years ago), he was a bachelor, so no kids.....just three nephews, and cousins left to mourn his passing. The church choir was present to lead the singing, they looked so fine in their white and blue robes. And a local group of singers also performed....what was amazing to me was their pianist, a little old white haired lady who was just marvellous to listen to, trills up and down the piano, those agile fingers on the keys moving with the speed of light! I didn't find out until afterward that she is TOTALLY BLIND! I was fated to be the first speaker, and was a bit tremulous thinking "Oh don't let me hash this up, Lord!" I wanted to share with the audience a feeling of the heritage Baillie and the rest of our family inherited from our Wilson ancestors. And also to tell them of Baillie's life, the many jobs he worked at as a radio operator with the Department of Transport, the kind of person he was, a kind and goodly man who made life just a little better for my mother and his mother when they lived together at the Vermilion Valley Lodge. I guess it went OK, because a number of people lined up afterwards to talk to me and share their memories.
The second half of the eulogy was capably handled by close friend Hu Puffer, who told all about Baillie's popularity with the Trekkers, a group of hikers and travellers he belonged to, and were such an important part of his declining years. The rest of the service was according to the rites of the United Church, of course, and conducted by lay minister Nancy, a personable and very nice lady who added the personal touch, since she knew Baillie quite well.

Afterward, a lovely catered lunch was served of sandwiches, squares, cheese slices, pickles, the usual.....punch and coffee. And lots of socializing! I was totally taken aback when a fellow came up to me and introduced himself as Alan Waldie, his family was the "missing link" from my husband's genealogy and I had discovered them after working on every possible method of research, finally resorting to phoning all the Waldies in the Edmonton phone book. This was years ago, he and his wife had come to our house and I was able to tell him more about his ancestors than he ever knew in his life before. And of course, he was able to provide the information I was missing. Total coincidence, turns out he's a member of the St. Albert United church too, and knew my cousin Baillie well. Nice chap....he remembered my name, I wouldn't have recognized him nor he. me.

So, that was the funeral, very, very nice. Big congratulations and thanks to cousin Rob, he's the mostest and the bestest. My siblings and I went in together on a nice floral arrangement to add to the beautiful ones already on display.....along with a special display stand where Bail's violin stood, a reminder of how much it meant to him, and to all those he entertained with it.

Our last day in Edmonton, yesterday, Thursday, after breakfast at Behr's, Linda and I set off to visit Dad's grave in West Edmonton, to pay our respects and to view the stone, which I had arranged for in 2006, but had never had an opportunity to view. Jeff had taken pictures, and that was great, but I wanted to see it (hey, after all, there IS room for me there too, just needs the date filled in, better be in the summertime, d'ya think?). We continued on to find Ted and Shirl's house (Doug's sister and husband) out in Mayfield district, had a nice visit with them, looked at pictures of their kids and grandkids, then followed them to the Cheesecake Cafe for lunch. YUM! And then goodbye, "we'll come to see you".....and we were off down 170th Street past the big mall and out onto the Calgary highway. Hit Calgary just at rush hour of course, so that was a bit of a drag, slowed our journey a bit, but eventually pulled up to my lodge in Magrath. I missed my friends here, and I guess they missed me too from all appearances! They clapped when I came into the dining room.....goofy!

Wonderful three days and good to see Edmonton once again. Special, special thanks to Linda! who made it possible.

5 comments:

  1. What a funny story. One fill in, i was the one to pig out at the swiss, i overordered, intentionally, to take half home for the day after.
    And everyone bless our dear sister Linda for her charity of heart. And inspite of Mother's side front seat driving, she does not drive fast, and has very good brakes. And drives a sweet Lincoln. Forgot her favorite GPS though.

    I suspect my siblings have many a kind surprise in store for thier dear mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Granny! All Linda told me was "It was good." I like details, though! Especially since I was invited along---and then promptly UNinvited! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Camille. SOME DAY I'll take you shopping to West Edmonton Mall...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the story of your trip; it was really interesting, and I'm glad you made it back for the funeral. I don't think I ever did meet Baillie, but I always remember the kind words inside the wedding card that he gave to Randy and I many years ago. Nice that you were able to get to Swiss with Jeff and David too!

    And Camille, we haven't actually met in person yet, but next time I'm in Edmonton, maybe you can come up and we can do WEM if Linda doesn't take you there first! I think we'd get along pretty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie, you would not believe how much the face of Edmonton has changed in the three years since I moved away. Some streets I could barely recognize....like the blocks between 96 and 99 on 51 Avenue, only Alberta's Pancake House is still there, the other businesses have all changed hands and names. Maybe the recession? who knows. Linda and I toured St. Albert between the funeral sessions, just to look around. It's a pretty little city, unique combination of old and new.

    And Camille, you'll love her! She's great fun, even if she's now advocating Twitter! the great copy-cat. Sorry, Camille, I go along with sister Anonymous in her sentiments. Life's too too short to be spending 24/7 on the computer on inanities. (Is that a word? Maybe I should say BLUHHH).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.