Thursday, September 3

Never trust a Cat.

Just remembered another episode from an earlier life: I don't necessarily remember even the traumatic events, although this was one of the most horrifying, to my small sensitivities at the time. I was perhaps six or seven, and deeply deeply attached to my tiny pet rabbit. Uncle Hugh had been working on the binder, driving the horses as they pulled the big machine, when they ran over a mother rabbit and several baby bunnies....yes, sadly, road kill (only not on the road, in a field of wheat). But he was able to stop the operation, and rescue one of the babies, which he settled into his jacket pocket and SURPRISE! presented to me when he came in for dinner. I was thrilled to death to have my very own tiny, cuddly little pet! fed him milk with an eye dropper, fixed a little comfy bed for him on my cot and just enjoyed him so much (maybe the reason I was never a "doll" person).

One warm summer day, I took a walk up onto the little hill just west of the barn, sat down in the sunshine, took Bunny out of my pocket and was petting him and I suppose talking bunny talk to him, when who should appear on the scene but Tom, one of the barn cats, anxious to be included in the petting session, and full of purrs and good natured catty fiefdom. Twining himself around me, paying no attention to the little furry bundle in my lap, he was apparently in his seventh heaven of delight, as I stroked his back and twiddled his ears, he was purring up a storm. When, in the space of ONE SECOND, he grabbed the baby rabbit in his mouth and took off for the barn, baby squealing blue murder, and me, transfixed by shock, just coming to my senses and overwhelmingly ANGRY. speeding after him. I can still see the tragedy unfolding in my mind's eye, Tom would stop briefly every 50 yards or so, chow down a bit more on that poor little body, more painful squeals, gradually dying off to silence, as my dear tiny Bunny expired.

Well, to make a long tragic story short, I caught up to Tom in the barn, cornered him with no resistance on his part (he could have clawed me half to death, but he knew he was in the wrong!). Took the bunny away from him, (I was in a terrible rage! I could've cheerfully murdered him), held him by the scruff of the neck and whapped him as hard as I could with my free hand, over and over until he meowed pitifully, as though it was really punishment to the max. I think he realized in his clever catty mind there would be no squirts of milk into his mouth from any of the cows I would be milking in the not-too-distant future!

I guess the moral of this story is just what I said, NEVER TRUST A CAT. They are sneaky, manipulative of their humans, exist entirely for their own comfort and well-being, and most of all UNTRUSTWORTHY! They will turn on you in a flash and before your very eyes destroy the delight of your life, simply because of the nature of the species. Killers, all.....small tigers in disguise.

Now you may think because of this traumatic event in my early life, that I would develop a life-long aversion to the feline species....OH OH, what happened? Instead, I love cats, their independence,their haughtiness, their demand for full service if you happen to choose them as your No. 1 pet. They will always be so, (hang the dog) the cat will rule the household. And they will pretend to love you for your willingness to be their slave forever.

So....if you choose a cat to live with you and your family, just be aware! They are by their very nature, destined to be the rulers, they may profess their deep love and respect for you at all times, but don't ever forget that they are entirely capable of the utmost treachery at the most unexpected of times. BE PREPARED! And if you choose a dog rather than a cat to be your cherished companion, I will understand.

5 comments:

  1. I always remember this story, Mother, thankyou for posting it. You told it to me when my beloved hamster hung himself on his cage door, and it was my only comfort at his untimely death.

    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard this story, obviously, but it makes me very sad. I had a pet bunny when I was six or seven, too. It died of natural causes (or neglect, I'm not sure which).

    As it happens, I hate cats and will never own one as a pet (though I have been wanting to borrow one to stalk my garage for a week or so, and see if it can get rid of a pesky mouse in there).

    Interestingly enough, Kyle and I are seriously considering buying a dog. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Camille.....there's great joy in having a dog. And getting a mature dog from an Animal Shelter in many ways is a wonderful idea, obviously it needs a good home, it's probably house trained. But I think I'd be asking, why did it get to the shelter in the first place, has it been abused, has it been poorly raised, bark a lot, any bad habits, are the handlers at the shelter telling all they know about the dog? Obviously, they want to place it as soon as possible and in the best place they can. All things to consider when you purchase a mature animal. Or is it a puppy? A whole lot of other challenges! Have fun, dear girl...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mother, that is the sweetest comment i've heard from you today. i agree, adopt, but, i must say, don't look for the faults in the dog, look for a friendly dog, who see's in you happiness, who yearns for your help.those who have suffered need us the most.
    just don't get a cat K+C, i love cats too, but ya have to be a cat person.

    Camille, i look forward to posts on archiveslives about your new doggy. I'm sorry about the bunny. Me and Ran had two hamsters, ernie and bert, they escaped their cage, ran under the false floor in the basement, and never returned. hard having animals friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember that story from when u told me when I was 14. so sad. I am not a animal fan at all but still felt so bad for the bunny.
    good luck camille on getting a new addition to your family

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.