I took the bus out to westlawn this morning, to visit some old friends. Now that i've figured out how to include scads of pictures in one post, i'm going craazy on this one. This is my walk about the grounds, in sequential photographs.(Remember, click on the pictures to see them full size).
I usually come into westlawn by the east entrance, because i walk from Jasper Place bus hub, to 163rd st.

Here's my typical view as i wander about, reading stones, towards level b, row 7.

Today though, a few new stones caught my eye, i veered a bit too south, and then felt like i was too near the mausoleum, might have missed the row i came to visit. So i turned around, and the engraving on the back of the "Wacker" stone meant i indeed had gone past row 7.(The two Naylor stones, one black, one grey, are on the other side of the "Wacker" stone, in this picture).

So i backtracked. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD.

A family shot, with the Naylor grandparents to the south.

Dad has a newish neighbour to the north, Elizabeth Burgess arrived on the scene in 2007. Her family had been by recently, she had a few flowers and things, strewn about by the wind. I put them back on her stone. She was young, only 50.

The place is crawling with birds, most especially crows, dozens of them, caw, caw, caw, constantly. Here's three, in a tree.

Though most of the non-evergreens were just starting to leaf up, this one, don't know what it is, was putting on a colourful show.

Today was the first time i walked all the way to the west side of the grounds, and discovered the veterans section, so, on this Victoria Day, here's some heroes of the Queen's Commonwealth.

I usually meander in and around the rows, reading stones, thinking of the lives they represent. One fellow, James Price, still with us, has been without his Wilhelmina for a long time. Poor guy.

And LOOK, a BUNNY!

These types of stones, one out, and 3 in, the ground, are interesting. Judging from the dates, this looks like 3 generations of family.

This inscription caught my attention, a life, of one day. Poor wee thing.

This one was sad, and inspiring at the same time. I would say two parents, Neil and Ria, their 19 year old child, Saskia, with child, and her husband, Zeke, were all taken 26 years ago, today. Likely by some type of accident. Probably by car. Very moving. A bit chilling.

And then i saw LOTS of bunnies. Hopping about. One still in his winter whites.

And, a Mr. and Mrs. Duck, waddling away.

The bunnies and the ducks all seemed to be hanging around this fellow, until i stumbled along and they made scarce.

By this time, i was chilled to the bone, so i decided to head for the south entrance...check out the temp! Brrr.

On my way to the south entrance, i could not NOT take this picture. Look at all those names. Proud defenders.

Just at the gate of the south entrance stands this large granite notice, reminding visitors, these are sacred grounds.
Then i zipped across Stony Plain Road and caught a nice warm bus back home. These trips to westlawn are very evocative for me, so i don't make them often. This was number three. I thought it was a reasonable idea to spend some time with Dad, on his, Deb's, and Dayna's Birthday.
Good for you, Jeff, remembering the guy that started all this family. Very interesting, your stroll through Westlawn, and one of the best pictures you've taken of OUR gravestone. Thanks for doing the tour. I love this post.
ReplyDeleteDid you blow up the two shot, of the Naylor stones? See the faint white streaks moving diagonally across YOUR stone? That's the little specks of what was barely snow, we got this morn', blowing in from the northeast. I didn't think my cheapo camera would pick it up, until i blew up that picture.
ReplyDeleteIt's a hard stone to photograph, because it's so polished, reflects so much behind the photographer. Need just the right angle. And i can't do it straight on, then it mirrors me onto the image of the stone. But it is a very classy stone. I notice in that same picture, Aline Wacker, behind, chose the wheat shaft, and wildrose, like you. Poor girl, she's been without her Klaus since '94.
Oh I just LOVE visiting cemeteries. Thankyou so much for going to all that effort for our family today. You are the keeper of Dad's posthumous story for the rest of us...I love you for it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I am so sorry that it's so unseasonably cold up there, on his birthday
Dad would NOT approve. LOL
I miss him.
Thank you, Linda. You're right, Dad much preferred the heat. I'm sure he'd rather be down there, with you, maybe on the golf course with Stuart. Though he'd likely just drive the cart, and enjoy the sun.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post, Jeff, even though I'm reading it 2 days later. You guys are right, he would not have approved of the snow on his birthday! I have many memories (and photos to prove it) of him hanging around, relaxing in and working on the yard, without his shirt on, getting tanner by the minute!
ReplyDeleteI love visiting cemeteries too; they are so interesting. There's a couple up in the Cades Cove area of the Smokies that you see a lot of infants and young people.
That's interesting Jackie,i wonder why those cemeteries have so many young people in them.
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit surprised how many people have said they like to visit cemeteries...i only developed the interest in reading the stones after i started visiting dad. It's nice to know who his neighbours are. He's in what's kind of the english-british section, there's an asian section next to that one, and a couple of rows in the north half that are COMPLETELY dutch names. Then some rows are all kinds of different names.
Jeff, have you ever gone out to visit Randy at South Haven? I know it might not be real convenient for you to get out there, but if you'd like to go out there once in a while, I'd sure appreciate it! I hate not being able to get out there very often at all, and now there's only my brother there, he lives in St. Albert so it's quite a trek for him although he did go out in the winter once this past year for me. Randy is in a newish section too, although sadly he's one of the older residents in it now, but it's interesting to see who his neighbors have ended up being too. To his immediate left there is a young man with his picture on the stone also, I always like to dust his stone off as well and tidy up a bit!
ReplyDeleteThat is so weird, all these years, i haven't known that Randy was buried locally. I remember a service, i think in the bonnie doon chapel, but i don't remember going to a cemetery. Where is South Haven? I've never heard of it, and i can't' find it in the Edmonton phone book. Anyone who know's this South Haven, please respond.
ReplyDeleteI remember going to the graveside for Uncle Randy, he was cremated though so he wasn't technically buried. I vaguely remember Kristen and Karina putting in something with him as well, was there something? Or am I just crazy.
ReplyDeleteYes, you do remember correctly Jeff, that we had Randy's funeral at the Bonnie Doon Chapel; and afterwards we went out to South Haven. I can't believe you didn't know where he was! You're right,that is so weird!
ReplyDeleteJeff, South Haven is on the very eastern outskirts of Edmonton right before you get to Sherwood Park-it's alongside Highway 14, between the Sherwood Park Fwy and the Whitemud. Do you know where I mean now? It is a City cemetery, and right next door to it is a Catholic Cemetery. The exact address is 5004 Meridian Street I believe, and the Catholic cemetery is called Our Lady of Peace. I will go through my photos and try to email you a picture of his stone. If you decide to go out there, let me know if you need more info, I'll tell you exactly where he is.
And Kristy, you are not crazy, you are absolutely right, good memory. Randy is in a smaller "2-up" section for cremations, I liked the location because it was close to our house and also a good view of the downtown skyline in the distance. If you recall from another post, Randy absolutely hated to be cold, and even though it doesn't make sense because you obviously don't feel any cold once you are gone, the only thing he ever told me about what his wishes were, was that he wanted to be cremated. He couldn't bear the thought of being put into the cold ground. And cold it was that day of his funeral, December 28th. It was probably about -28C. It was a pretty dull, dark and cold day, but you know what, when we were standing around for the short service at the cemetery, the sun broke through a hole in the clouds and shone down on us for a few moments; it was so spiritual, I like to believe it was Randy letting me know that he was okay now. Kristen and Karina both put flowers in with him before it was sealed, and I put a white turtle dove ornament in there too. The match to it is the first thing that goes on my Christmas tree every year!
Whoa, that was an unexpected trip down memory lane! I'll try and send you that picture Jeff, if you'd like to, feel free to post it here.
I will. I just saw one on google maps, i figured out where it is, with some computer and phone time, there's a phone at our lady of peace office, 10 to 4, on saturday, so i'm going to go out there this coming saturday, and take some pictures for us. I'll be cabbing it, i don't know anybody with a car, so i'll need the phone at our lady of peace nextdoor to call for the return trip. I talked with yellow cab, they said they do that sort of trip.
ReplyDeleteTell me where the section randy's in is, in relation to the rest of the cemetery, i'd like to go there, and find him while reading other memorials. I'll take lots of good pictures.
That will be great, thanks Jeff, I just sent the picture and directions to Randy in a separate email, I hope you don't have any problems getting out there or finding him.
ReplyDelete