Friday, May 8

Seven of Seven

DAVID ANDREW NAYLOR
Last, but never least! In fact we had NO LEASTS! Dave joined the Naylor crew some five years after No. 6, Jeff, arrived. So I like to think of him not as an afterthought, but as a BONUS! Because he truly livened up our lives. I was 42 when he was born, so the prior 9 months were not the easiest; suffice it to say that having babies is definitely for the young, or younger than 42, anyway!.Dave truly filled our lives with joy; (after a rocky first month or 6 weeks due to a lung deficiency which showed up mostly as a slight duskiness in his colour), he began to thrive and turned into an incredibly happy and contented baby. The whole family doted on David, and yes! spoiled him ridiculously! He never had to ask for anything, he just pointed at it, and BINGO, he had it! So, as a consequence, he never really bothered to talk as early as our other kids, but once he started, he’s never quit since!In school, David was the source of a great deal of riotous merriment on behalf of both teachers and students. His teachers never had to sing “Send in the clowns”, they already had one in the classroom. Consequently David had a very good time in school. For example, usually hours before Hallowe’en, David would come to me practically on bended knee, pleading, “Mom, can we whip up such and such a costume? I have to wear it to school in the morning”. One year in high school, he blackened his face, hands, etc., wore his hair in an Afro and went to school all decked out as a ni……..(whoops! Not allowed). His classmate, who happened to be a colored boy, had the locker next to Dave’s, both were rifling through their lockers at the same time, and the other kid gets a little worried, and says to Dave “Hey, man, whatcha doin’ in Dave Naylor’s locker?”
The next year, he topped it all off by going as a FAT ARAB! (I had a heap of sewing to do on that one….). Kids were taking his picture all over the cafeteria, in fact I have one somewhere in my thousands of pictures, some day I’ll run across it and post it for y’all to see how realistic he looked. Like he was First Assistant to Saddham Hussein.Dave was immensely popular in school, and to top it all off, if he didn’t join the football team at Bonnie Doon High! What were they called, seemed to me it was The Lancers, but maybe my memory’s faulty on that one. Anyway, I lived in constant fear that he would really get CREAMED, skinny 140 lb. stripling that he was, up against those big beefy 200 lb. bags of muscle and testosterone. I was immensely glad when that petered out, and he got back to normal. Or at least as near normal as David ever was. David’s “normal” was to say the least “Unique”.Dave’s name, if I remember right, means “Loved, Loving” and he SO lived up to that, he was dearly loved by his family, his skillion friends, and he loved everybody in return! I don’t think he ever had an enemy in the whole world. So helpful, so kind, helped me paint the whole outside of our house at 9257 just a few years back now…..plus the never-ending fence! Took his whole summer holiday that year just to help his aging parents.

YAY FOR DAVID! YOU ARE THE MOSTEST AND THE BESTEST, and your momma LOVES YA!

7 comments:

  1. he was a chubby little baby, sure has changed now. Can't believe he dressed up in some of those costumes, especially in those days when race and religion were stronger topics then they are nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did the mothers day post go? saw in my email you were asking what I did Uncle jeff, but I wanted to comment on that post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deleted the mothers day post, Kristy. I'm feeling quite ill, (depressed), lately, and i get so down on myself i think everything i've said or posted is just plain stupid, or boring, and that nobody want's to hear anything from me. I know, it makes no sense at all, i try to hide it, because people think it's me being a bad person, but sometimes it just takes every ounce of will i have left to stop crying, let alone think straight. Sorry about the m day post, everyone, please cut me some slack, don't criticize me for doing that. I'll try to think of some way to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, wonderful post on David, Mom! Since Randy and Dave hung out alot of the same places, and share a lot of the same friends, I got to know Dave pretty well and Dave, you're the best! Last time I saw you though, you still needed some meat on them thar bones!!!

    Jeff, I haven't been on for about a week on here and didn't read the Mother's Day post you are referring to, but I am so sorry you are feeling depressed and the way you are. Jeff, you are funny and I love your sense of humour and really admire the way you care about your family... you care enough to preside over this blog, and post great photos of Edmonton and help us reconnect by remembering stories of loved ones. I hope your day, week, month gets better; I will be praying for you that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you all posting, my family. We are in the desert enjoying up to triple digit temps, and loving it. Stuart is golfing right now, CeCe is cleaning out her closet (her idea) and I am doing a little housecleaning before we head to the pools. Ady has gone back to Utah with her Dad, so she doesn't miss any more school.

    Hang in there, Jeff. Hugs to you, from one who knows.

    lr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda and Jackie, your kind words of support meant a lot to Jeff, depression hits like a ton of bricks and sometimes makes one behave irrationally. Glad to say, it is lifting a bit and he seems to be in a better mood. Change of seasons perhaps helps too.

    Oh hey Jackie! We're waiting for the Great Smoky Mtns. report. Dollywood? Gatlinburg? Pigeon Forge? Pics from your timeshare in the Smokies?? That country is so lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll try and work on it sometime soon, I promise, but can't promise when.... I had such a busy weekend with it being Karina's birthday and some church awards, I was hardly at home! But I"ll work on it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.