I found these pictures today rummaging through some of my stuff in the basement.
I can't believe how big both of the bouquets were. I have never seen a broach for a wedding day before granny, was that popular back then? It was probably nice to have instead of trying to hold a bouquet the whole time while shaking hands. Did you keep your wedding dress granny? I know my mom still has hers in her closet.
I never thought my dad would be the one to wear a bowtie instead of a tie. I can't tell if that's a tiara on my moms head or if its part of the veil.

I can't believe how big both of the bouquets were. I have never seen a broach for a wedding day before granny, was that popular back then? It was probably nice to have instead of trying to hold a bouquet the whole time while shaking hands. Did you keep your wedding dress granny? I know my mom still has hers in her closet.
I never thought my dad would be the one to wear a bowtie instead of a tie. I can't tell if that's a tiara on my moms head or if its part of the veil.

this is the link from Uncle Jeff's comment just incase you don't know how to copy and paste
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/charivari
Well, I figure I'm qualified to talk about the first one....weren't we skinny, and Doug looks like a teenager. NOT! we were both 22. Mind you, I did weigh less than 100 lbs. at that stage of my life. AND, this was right after the war ended (1947) and clothing production was not yet back to normal. My "gown" was a mid-calf length dress, and that ridiculously enormous corsage was ...well, just what I said, ridiculous! I was trembling so much going down the aisle of the church that the little fuzzy ferns forming the greenery in the corsage kept tickling my chin, and all I wanted to do at that point was scratch it! But is that a cool thing to do in one's wedding processional? I think not. The rest of it is a BLURRRRR! Fortunately. We had the reception at my parents' farm home, I don't think we officially served any booze, but a number of the guests came prepared with BYOB. And I remember my very proper and reserved Uncle Tom getting quite inebriated and succumbing to my friend Alberta's considerable seduction talents, seems to me they were carrying on at some length behind the chicken coop or in the pumphouse or some obscure location, and I remember worrying about that at the time and feeling quite sorry for Uncle Tom. She had few scruples, that girl. And I remember Doug and I travelling back to the city that night late, in separate cars! due to the extreme stupidity of some of our Edmonton friends in becoming TDTD (translation: too drunk to drive). So Doug had to drive one of the carloads back to Edmonton, and because of specific drop-off arrangements, we ended up in separate cars. Everybody thought this was just the funnest thing ever, even better than a chivary. (Spelling of that word??? maybe it's sharivaree; anyhow, what it means is, extreme jokes played on newly married couples, such as short-sheeting the bed, vandalizing their luggage, Jello in the bathtub, potato in the exhaust pipe of the get-away car, all sorts of little pleasantries.) My wedding day was a thing to remember, yes, but not because it was the "most wonderful day of my life", as I've heard so many brides gasp rapturously. It was more of an endurance test. And we were happy to leave behind all the commotion and meet at our hotel! I forget which one it was, but we had a room booked somewhere, and the next day travelled to Banff for a week's honeymoon, staying at a bed and breakfast there, and enjoying the change of scenery and change of pace. And the beginning of the married state! Whew! what a journey.....
ReplyDeleteClever, dancing around the actual spelling.... took me 5 minutes to find it on Wiktionary.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/charivari
Just so everyone knows, granny's first comment went with this post when i (jeff) published it before it was done. My stupid. Granny said i should ask Kristy if she was done yet with composing this post. Again, my stupid. So i put it back to a draft, K added the writing to her post, and i've notified Granny that K republished 'weddings', with questions for Granny. You know, i was thinking today, i wonder if people have forgotten about one of BLOG'S regular features, Q+A WITH GRANNY. That's where you ask em any question you like, she'll give ya a great story. Don't worry about bothering her, she lives to give to her family.
ReplyDeleteKristy, thanks for setting up that link, inside the post. These wedding photographs are a great idea.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, i had no idea what Granny was talking about, with the 'charivari'.
How interesting, Mom N! I would have had absolutely no idea about how your wedding day went if it were not for this post! At least you can laugh about them so many years later now, I can bet you weren't laughing much at the time!
ReplyDeleteKristy, when your mom is back from AZ, and has had the time to rest up from the trip, and hugging her grandbabies for a day or two, do you think you'd have a fair chance at coaxing her into telling her wedding day story, here in the comment section. When i first saw this post, that's what i wanted, for the two ladies in those pictures to leave us some history, on the blog.
ReplyDeleteKristy? To answer your question about my wedding gown (dress).... I kept it for some years after 1947, you know I am not a very sentimental type of person, so eventually I had it dyed black, and wore it as "the little black dress" essential in everybody's wardrobe until I gradually gained weight and it was no longer suitable. So off it went to Goodwill, or its equivalent in those days...probably the Sally Ann (Salvation Army). I never regretted its demise.
ReplyDelete