These last two i took 8 days ago, from the front door of my building. The first one, the trees across the avenue, looking stark enough to see the 3 magpie nests that have been there for years and years. The second one, a bare looking tree, and the Telus building, north of me, where brother David works.
Sunday, May 17
FINALLY, Green comes to Town.
What a difference 8 days can make..even though it snowed a bit on friday, these first two pics, i just took, from my window show the river valley greening up. First one, the tops of the trees across the avenue, then looking into Rossdale, Telus Field(local baseball), and the Rossdale powerplant, and the other side of the river valley. Second one, trees across the avenue, and Diamond Park, to the east of my building, where i believe is where Linda first learned how to ride a bike, with her Dad's help. All looking peacefully green.

These last two i took 8 days ago, from the front door of my building. The first one, the trees across the avenue, looking stark enough to see the 3 magpie nests that have been there for years and years. The second one, a bare looking tree, and the Telus building, north of me, where brother David works.
I hope things are looking up in Your neck of the woods.
These last two i took 8 days ago, from the front door of my building. The first one, the trees across the avenue, looking stark enough to see the 3 magpie nests that have been there for years and years. The second one, a bare looking tree, and the Telus building, north of me, where brother David works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was just figuring out how wide the river valley is; from my place, to Saskatchewan Drive, is about a mile,(i'd guess that's it's average width), so i googled 'Edmonton river valley', and here's a little copy/paste info i did not know;...Approximately 21 times larger than New York City’s Central Park, Edmonton’s River Valley is the largest stretch of urban parkland in North America and overflows with active living opportunities. From cross-country skiing, hiking, dog walking and fishing to picnicking, in-line skating, kayaking and golfing, Edmonton’s Ribbon of Green offers a diverse range of outdoor recreation opportunities.
ReplyDeleteMagrath is DOOMED! The trees are all out in full leaf in Lethbridge, but HERE? Nix. I keep waiting, but so far, the leaves are being very reluctant. Even though all the peony plants along the side of the building are up a good 8 or 10 inches, and the clematis are showing immediate signs of life. Go figure. I knew Edmonton's river valley is very special, thanks for the facts.
ReplyDeletejust wait this week, a bit of snow coming to Alberta i hear...
ReplyDeleteI loved looking out the windows of the telus center when I worked there too, I would look out all day long while I was on the phone.
Things are always looking up in this neck of the woods (Mesa), but I'm happy to be going back to Canada when the time comes. I have a hankering to start a garden! Thanks for the hopeful green pictures!
ReplyDeleteKristy, yeah, the view from the telus building is awesome, there used to be a phone museum on the top floor where visitors could look out over the whole city..not there anymore, so the view is just for the workers now. How's Calgary doing? Greening up there?
ReplyDeleteSeems like a bunch of people are down in that area right now, Camille. Debbi's in Pheonix, Linda's in CA., i'd probably melt in the heat, but the palm trees and blooming flowers Linda mentioned sounds nice, to me. Good luck with your garden, i love gardening too, people here are a bit late in planting, because the night time temperatures have taken longer this year to stay above freezing. I wonder how your place, up here is doing.
ReplyDeleteOops, forgot to say, everybody, Happy Victoria Day!
ReplyDeleteDouble oops, i'm so bad at paying attention to facebook, but i just noticed the day stamp on my last comment, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEBBI AND DAYNA!!
ReplyDeleteThe Magrath leaves are smarter than I thought! The little darlings don't want to push Mother Nature around. Snow (yes, that bad word) may or may not happen AGAIN this week. And whatever holiday this is, ENJOY, EVERYBODY.
ReplyDeleteLove the photos and the neat facts, Jeff, thanks! I have always loved Edmonton's River Valley, it really is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt's not a holiday here in the States, that's next week, when it's Memorial Day, but Happy Victoria Day to everyone that's enjoying a day off in Canada today!
I'm glad it's finally greening up for you up there-it's so nice to see isn't it! I was going to post some more thoughts, but just got interrupted by a call from darling daughter #1 who forgot to take plates and cups she was signed up for, so mom to the rescue as I have to head out down to the school...
Jackie, you're a busy mom, get to a post and comments at your leisure...there's no hurry for anything around here. We're just glad to have you reading.
ReplyDeleteAnd, in spite of the sunshine and wearing shorts of yesterday, today something must have blown in from the north, because, i was out at westlawn this morning, and very few of the decidious trees have leafbuds, and the sign at the entrance was flashing -10 Celsius. And it's snowing, very lightly, but a bitter wind is coming from the northeast. I think the river valley is where the green starts first, because the wind and cold are tempered down here. Up on the flat lands, it's much less green.