PRAIRIE FIRES:
(Presented by Marion Naylor)
(This is copied verbatim from my mother’s memoirs, (Homestead Days, 1906). Her name was Christina Graham (Wilson) Morrison. )
A very real menace in the early days were the numerous prairie fires that swept through parts of the country every year. Once started, by a spark, by lightning, or more often by man’s carelessness, and if fanned by a wind, it could travel with the speed of a fast-running horse. To protect buildings and haystacks, the settlers surrounded them with a fireguard, which was formed by plowing two furrows about 15 feet apart and burning off the grass between them, thus leaving the fire with nothing on which to feed. On quiet days of little or no wind this was sufficient to stop the fire, but on blustery windy days it was a different story.
On such a morning of a day in spring, on looking out we were appalled to see a large column of black smoke which seemed to be no great distance away, headed in our direction, and being driven by a strong north wind. The men hurriedly gathered gunny sacks, soaked them thoroughly in water, and took up positions to beat out any spark which might be blown across the fireguard. My brother Tom and I, eager for excitement, went along with them.
Soon we could see the flames come racing down a long hillside. Then one of the men shouted to us, “Run for the slough, it’s jumped the fireguard!” We ran pell-mell to a nearby slough in whose center there still remained a large snowdrift. We plunged in up to our waists and stood with our faces buried in our arms to ward off the smoke. The fire went racing past around the slough and was gone in a few minutes, leaving behind it the blackened ashes of the recently thick prairie wool grass. The cows, which had been feeding close by, had the ends of their tails and their heels singed. The fire raced on in the direction of the Cairns’ buildings, but no damage as the grass was trampled short there. That night, when the wind died down, we could still see the light from the flames away to the south, as the fire continued on to harass the settlers in its path.
There were other occasions when a fire would start up unexpectedly, and there was a rush to hitch the oxen to the plow and make a furrow around the buildings and haystacks. Two of our neighbors were one day talking by the roadside. One of them lit a cigarette and carelessly threw down the match. Almost at once, there was a puff of smoke at their feet, a burst of flames, and a fire was on its way again. Fortunately, there was little wind, and with the help of neighbors, it was soon brought under control; and as the years passed the fires gradually lessened, the settler’s plow putting the land under cultivation, and his cattle and horses keeping the grass eaten down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Questions for Granny:
ReplyDelete1. What did you and Linda butt heads over most when she was growing up?
2. What is---in your opinion, or everyone else's---the BEST food you cook/bake? Or, if you're so good you can't limit them to one... what are your top 5? Top 10? Care to share some recipes?
3. Where is the farthest you've ever traveled? Was it your favourite holiday, or do you prefer staying closer to home?
Ok, one at a time here on Q&A. Did I butt heads with Linda, undoubtedly we did, both being of fairly strong personalities? But, do you know, I have the most convenient memory ever, I tend to block out CONFRONTATIONS, especially with my children (and my husband!) and remember only the good times. This may have something to do with ATTITUDE, I have a strong belief that everybody needs to ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE, ELIMINATE THE NEGATIVE...so I'm so busy latching onto the AFFIRMATIVE that I have a memory block on the concerns I had about my kids when they were growing up. EXCEPT I do remember wishing to gosh Linda would get off the blinkin' phone, so that some of my expected calls could get through. 24/7 that girl would talk, talk, talk, unceasing trivial garbage....at least that was my viewpoint, probably not her's.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, another one.... when she drove my car, entirely without permission, and ended up having an altercation with some immovable
object, and having to get the body work done before we got home from holidays. But the truth came out, didn't it? Linda, are you there? which car was it, the blue, pink or the white VW bug, or was it my Pinto station wagon, or the Datsun. See, told you I have a selective memory.
Food? Camille, you've hit a golden oldie memory here. I used to be a very good cook, always trying new recipes, new ethnic cooking, plus I catered part time for about 30 years. Well known in the Edmonton church circles for catering to 500 youth day in the Bonnie Doon stake centre.....600 girls at YW regional girls' camp at Sylvan Lake....many fund raisers, many many wedding receptions, that type of thing, both in the church and in community halls for non-members. We were most famous for our roast beef dinners. Recipes? yes, I still have my recipe file, although I chucked my 8 catering books during my down-sizing (regret that now, somebody could be using that priceless information). Probably the most famous would be, cabbage rolls, chicken-a-la-king, wonton soup, lime wafer dessert, parkerhouse rolls, clam chowder, French onion soup,and some of the things I did when I taught gourmet cooking and Canadian Christmas cooking for Continuing Ed. Some of the best recipes require actual hands-on demos, so don't lend themselves to online cooking shows (especially when one doesn't have the expertise to post digital pictures of the techniques involved.) Mostly I was a scratch cook, except for one mix I always used, and still support 100%, for Quaker's oatmeal muffins. So good, try them sometime.
ReplyDeleteC, someone is forgetting the best recipe, TURKEY CASSEROLE.
ReplyDeleteThird question....farthest I ever travelled, would have to be New Zealand, when I was 4 years old. My dad was the kind of rosie-eyed optimist who saw far fields as always greener, so having been taken in by newspaper ads touting the glories of far-off New Zealand, he somehow persuaded several members of the family into going there, with a view to he and his brother Hugh getting jobs on the railway, Auntie Mary doing something probably to do with sewing, which she was really good at, her daughter my cousin Millie was 14. Millie absolutely refused to go to school in Auckland, where we lived for 2 months, declaring no way was she wearing a stupid, silly uniform to school! And GOT AWAY WITH IT!
ReplyDeleteWell, Reality reared its ugly head....there were NO railway jobs, farms were few and far between, and extremely expensive, and New Zealand a good 10 years behind Canada in achieving modernity. So back we came to the beginning of the Dirty Thirties, eventually ending up back on our Alberta farm, where my parents knew they could scratch out a living for their growing family. Being so young, I remember little of that long trip, we went over on the Aorangi, came back on the Niagara, both double stacked steamships. I remember a few things, like the flying fishes that would sail as high as the deck of the boat and sometimes misjudged and landed on the deck!
The shipboard party when we crossed the equator, they stove out the ends of wooden barrels, and arranged them in a long row on the deck (like a tunnel)....a guy at each end with a hose, and woe betide the pretty girls that volunteered to run the gauntlet. The stalk of bananas (maybe about 150 bananas for $2 in Fiji, which was one of the two ports of call before we reached The Long Land's shores.) Those bananas had to be eaten before we got to customs at Auckland, my mother was so sick of bananas she could never willingly face another one all of her remaining life. I remember climbing up a very steep hill in the middle of Auckland, called One-Tree Hill. Perched on the top was one huge, old, gnarled oak tree, with jillions of acorns lying underneath it; Jack and I filled out pockets with these new toys. I remember the supervised play area on the top floor of a large department store, open to the air, where we went to work off our high spirits, while my mother and Auntie Mary went shopping. I remember how brown we became from the intense heat of the summer season in New Zealand, and the little brown speckles all over our feet, from going barefoot 24/7. I remember a trip to Rotaruaa, up-island where the mud pots bubbled constantly like big pots of thick brown chowder, and the ground shook all over, and you had to watch where you put your feet becuse you could feel the heat right through the soles of your shoes. On the way back to Vancouver, I remember the costume party the captain put on for the children on board; I don't remember what Jack was, but I was a ROSE! Auntie Mary got reams of pink crepe paper from the ship's store and fashioned me a very effective paper dress with layers and layers of rose petals; only time I was ever the hit of the ball! She thought the sun rose and set on me and would go to any lengths to show me off, poor misguided woman!
When I was little that's the only really long trip we ever went on, back and forth to Vancouver in your old Thirties cars really didn't count as holidays, they were necessities. After I married and our family came, we always took our two weeks a year, mostly based in the Okanagan in a tent trailer
(at first a tent), that was all we could afford, but I think some memories were made for our kids at that time. In later years, after the children had all left home, we went on many great excursions with my sister and brother-in-law, Christina and Merle Nielsen, to numerous time shares they owned. And a special trip all across the northern and central states with friends that had a motor home. I've been in every state in the union, even Alaska and Hawaii, except New Mexico. And our first cruise in 1998 set a new standard for us regarding the perfect holiday.Several cruises later, it's still my vacation of choice.
i dunno what color it was, but it was a standard shift VW. And it was my friend Gary Meek that was teaching me to drive it. And the altercation was going up the incline to the garage while having to shift and gas and brake and steer all at the same time.
ReplyDeleteThe steering suffered a little.
WOW, these were all excellent answers! I didn't realise they'd be coming so soon! I don't recommend ever stopping by New Mexico, but it does seem a shame to be just one short of all 50 states. It's my goal in life, you know, to see them all. And now, all the provinces of Canada, too. Might as well.
ReplyDelete