Tuesday, November 10

me, food, job, work, ergh.

restaurants typically bake potatoes in foil. that's not baked, it's steamed.in it's own water.

i can't cook fried rice. my mother is a genius at it.

in high school, i would come home at lunch, cook salty spaghetti, a good bunch, eat it straight from the strainer. no sauce.


ten foods i remember my mother making, turkey casserole..soft boiled egg mixed with catsup in a cup..salt and peppered tomato slice on a drive to SLC..smoked cod poached in milk every saturday morning.. roast turkey made in the black enamel roasting pan..turkey rice soup from the turkey stock and various bits of turkey off the carcass..campbells tomato soup, she would make it, with a good amount of milk, i would shred a full slice, or more, of wonder bread into the bowl..home grown boiled peas...chinese fried rice...CINAMMON TOAST...not sure if this was her or me, but, room temp white bread, butter and sugar atop (ok, that was me)..creamed mushrooms..cheddared pearl onion..oohh, boston baked beans, slow baked in our brown clay bean pots..mmmhh, hash, made with leftover mash tato and roast beef..mince, ground beef and onion saute, on mash tato..carrot cake tooo rich for me to eat anymore..tuna casserole, with a can of campbells cream of celery, and cream of mushroom, or cream of chicken, tasted just like turkey,(that crafty old girl), OOOOOHHH, holy shizzing, COLESLAW!!!..MMMM, pasta salad...of course cabbage rolls.. even frozen lasagna on the tinfoil pans, though i'm not usually a lasagna fan..hash browns, scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast, am i at ten yet?

i've been wanting to talk about food, but i often think i'm thinking nonsense.

my only, and best suggestion, FRESH HERBS!! fresh anything.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, you're making me hungry for all those favorite foods of long ago! I'd love a dish of mince over mashed spuds right now....your mention of pasta salad reminded me of our marinated veggies we did for caterings, marinated in golden Italian dressing. Randy loved that stuff so much he always contrived to carry out the huge stainless bowls, so surreptitiously he could fish out the whole button mushrooms, and down the hatch with them. Not that there was any pasta in that dish, when I did pasta salad, I used the small shells for the pasta and cubes of summer sausage, various colored peppers, red onion,cherry tomatoes, celery for crunch. Coleslaw with apple, or occasionally with pineapple. You forgot Yorkshire puddings, and corn fritters....Yum!
    I agree ditto on the garden fresh veggies, there is nothing in this world that tastes as good as fresh picked peas, string beans,baby carrots, vine ripened tomatoes. And how about the bowls of raspberries newly picked off our patch, with sugar and cream,,,,FRESH again. And remember the German meats and heavy rye bread, actually those meals were mostly when Dad and I were getting on in life, and you kids were mostly all gone. We didn't discover those German delis until the last 10-15 years. Sweet and sours and rice our kids liked a lot, sometimes pineapple chicken and egg foo yong with a veggie sauce. Ah, food! 'Tis such a pleasure. Or maybe I should say 'Twas such a pleasure. Remember those huge 15-20 lb. barons of beef, how about the edge cuts off of those that just cried out to be "tested"....and the gravy, we were truly famous for our beef and gravy when we catered.
    I'm torturing myself, no more commenting....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was more than ten foods, but they all sound tasty nonetheless.

    I had no idea my notion of a baked potato has, all this time, been a hoax. This is most disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...what can I possibly add to the Naylor food list? Oh, I know one...creamed corn on bread! I loved that with salt and pepper sprinkled on it. And Campbell's vegetable soup, with lots of crushed crackers. And RABBIT (rarebit)...scrambled eggs cooked in a pot instead of a frypan. With big stacks of buttered toast.

    There must be more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...leftover turkey on toast, with gravy, dad liked that one...oh yeah, also eaten on a trip to SLC, veal birds, mother would have to explain them...baking powder biscuits...what me and the bros would call scones, but likely more like bannock, bread dough stretched out, and fried in oil, in a frypan....extra pie dough, rolled out, baked on a flat pan, mixed with fresh strawbs or peaches, and cream, i remember both mother and granny m. doing the last two...something i would remember most perhaps, VERY old jarred dill pickles from our home grown cukes, i was still cleaning them out of food storage in the early 2000's, pickles from as far back as 1976, she always had everything dated.....cinnamon buns..for special dinners, boiled brussel sprouts...always, vanilla ice cream in the freezer, me and the bros would have one bowl a night, usually in bed, david would often fall asleep with his still on his chest, and wake up with it all over his face, in the morning.........i could go on and on, but i'm going out to buy a sub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. why do they do bake potatoes in a pot? very interesting. my mom was just talking about that rarebit and how she's scarred for life from it.. my kids love the cinnamon toast, I tried the creamed corn on bread one day for my kids, they are not fans. I remembered it being alot tastier then I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. no, they don't bake them in a pot, they just wrap them in tin foil and bake them in the oven..but when they're all sealed up like that, the water in the potato steam cooks it. when granny used to bake potatoes, she would make a shallow cut down the middle, where the potato will be split later, and poke a few holes with a fork to let steam escape, and bake them in the oven, with no foil on them. makes for a drier skin, crunchy...which, if uneaten, can be used for twice baked stuffed tato, or potato skins.

    oh, a few things we always had that i ate a LOT, nestle's quik, cheez whiz, milk, and oj. usually from frozen concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh ok, ya I do the same as you do at the restaurant, I poke the potatoes though but then wrap them in the tinfoil. I like the softness of the shell. I always had pink lemonade when I would come to grannys

    ReplyDelete
  8. mom, i was still around the last 10 to 15 years...i remember you always had sliced meats, and adrians rye bread on hand, and i would often come over and clean you out. and dad would often buy me rye bread, nestle's quik, and milk at the RCWC, and bring it over to my place in the camry, up that steep alley. he couldn't see, you couldn't hear, but you managed to drive safe enough, as a team.

    and remember the job i had in my early twenties at a german bakery on 99st? that's when i started eating rye bread. and all the extra buns, french loaf, the occasional accidentally dropped black forest cake that i would drop off at your house while i made my deliveries in the white van? and the weekend randy filled in for me, when i went south to cardston for baptisms(which freaked me out btw, 46 dunkings in a row, for a kid that panics when his head goes under water, well..), and randy was in a bad accident while doing my job, the van was totalled, i can't remember ran's injuries though. somebody ran a stop sign i think, and pushed the van into an adjacent park area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yeah, that's right, we always had pink lemonade frozen concentrate in the freezer. i wonder if that old thing is still working...a lot of food went in and out of that relic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristy, if you don't like the crispy skins, try this next time you bake potatoes, cut a little slit in the top, then oil them, doesn't take much oil (olive the best), either use a pastry brush, or I just used my hands and rolled the potatoes around until they had a thin coating of oil on them. Truly, baked potatoes this way end up with fairly soft skins, and much much tastier than the steamed foil wrapped things. The potato flesh is sort of mealy this way, much nicer consistency and flavour. I didn't discover this until long after all my children were gone, still often did them (with the oil) for Dad and I after that. Use oil, not butter or marg, they'll burn. Give it a try!

    I'll bet the old freezer is still going strong. They'll never get it out of that basement room unless they hack it to pieces, there's no room to manouever (sp?) it.

    Jeff, I can't remember the white van incident. It always amazed me how you could go out job-hunting and come home with one (or more)confirmed the same day. Debbie was the same, we never had to worry about her getting a job, as soon as she got serious about finding one, she had it. And always was an excellent employee, both of you were, actually. David too, think how long he worked for the Second Cup and how indispensable he was there. Finding work was harder for Randy, he hated applying and interviewing. Just a difference in personalities I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.