
This picture brings back memories of my childhood, when one of my jobs was milking the cows, and one of my fun times was feeding the barn cats the product thereof. Mind you, this was supposed to be strictly verboten, we weren't supposed to be wasting the milk by squirting it at the cats....but dang it, the cats had to eat too, didn't they? Not that some of them deserved it exactly, (like the treacherous feline that snatched my pet bunny rabbit, and dispatched him to bunny heaven before I could catch up to him). Nevertheless, this was a favorite pastime, which disturbed Bossy in no way, and was a source of great delight to both milkER and milkEE. And who misses one squirt? Well, maybe two....or more....
Which brings back other bovine memories ("bovine" is cow-related, grandkids). Did I ever tell you about the time I helped my dad birth a calf that was bent on entering the world the wrong way, feet first? I suppose I was maybe 12 or so, and had gone with Pop to check on the cow, and of course, found her in deep trouble, obviously she needed major help. We were able to assist, since there were two of us, and two feet being presented. Both calf and cow survived this unfortunate event...didn't happen very often, in fact, I don't recall any similar births amongst our farm animals, nature usually takes care of herself.
MILK? one of the finest products available to mankind! (Listen to me, preaching about the advantages of drinking milk, when it's my least favorite beverage in the world, second only to gatorade!) But let me tell you about "saps". This was an old Scottish meal in itself, native to generations of Scotsmen before mine, and often a source of comfort and/or delight to my parents, perhaps even a bit of a necessity when there was nothing else in the larder. (Remember, corn flakes and rice krispies, etc. were not yet invented). Anyhow, here's how to make saps in case any of you are interested. Break up a slice or more of bread into a bowl, sprinkle a little sugar overtop, brown or white, no matter. Then pour warm milk overtop, and prepare to choke it down your thrapple. (That's "throat" in Scots dialect, chilluns). I digress.....they loved this stuff! I suspect the name "saps" started out to be "sops".....and I'm sure it was a favorite food in the olden days in many nations, both bread and milk being readily available throughout the ages of time, or since cows were invented. And flour and yeast. By the way, if you don't know about "sops", look it up in your dictionary, if it's old enough it will be there. Maybe some diligent old-timer even put it on wiki.....
Just a few Sunday afternoon meanderings down memory lane....maybe I should go play "K-k-k-katy, beautiful Katy, you're the only g-g-g-girl that I adore, and when the moon shines over the c-c-c-cow-shed, I'll be waitin' at the k-k-k-kitchen door" for my fans....get this out of my system.
ma ma ma moooo cow ma ma ma makes milk! it's the only thing that I adore..... :p there's my singing for the day, even though I had to sing for 2 stinkin' hours for our primary presentation that's next week. Milk is the BEST drink out there, I can't have a meal without it. Of course it can only be skim milk though. and that "sops" sounds disguisting, somethign I prob. won't try :p
ReplyDelete