Saturday, February 13

secrets from the past. don't expect real entertainment.

my mother once made up a song riff for church, don't know the why and wherefore, but it was 'if i were the bishop, i would do my gene-ene-ene-ene-ology'.(two syllables in each ene, for cadence sake), she might remember the rest of the lyrics she 'adapted' from 'if i were a richman' from fiddler on the roof. good movie. bit retro. we also watched the sound of music every christmas on the 12 inch sony in the tiny bedroom not much bigger than a double bed.

she's not writing much currently, blogwise, so here i am for my rare post occurance. like i said, don't expect entertainment from me. i'm on hiatus.

the k-ster...my bud kristy...i call her that cuz i think it's funny, and her dad was the master at making up nicknames for everybody in the family, well, she's said don't delete posts anymore...there's not much to this one, but i will follow her direction. she's a pretty cool niece.

3 comments:

  1. excerpts from email.

    me: who made up the name debbie-diddle? dad? you?

    mither: As to Debbie-Diddle, when Debbie was a yearling and just starting to babble, she would say "diddlediddlediddlediddle' over and over again. Must've liked the sound she was making, so she earned the nickname herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Jeff, it's fluttering away in my memory, can't remember the specifics, but yes, sounds like something I would write. Probably in connection with the take-off I did one time, I think it was a roadshow, put on by the Mutual.....it was a pure rip-off of one my sister Christina wrote, stole her idea, but with different applications throughout. It was a representation of a bunch of departed spirts lounging around in Paradise, waiting for their temple work to be done by their living relatives on earth. No doubt the outcome featured the Bishop setting the example by doing his outstanding temple work, thus inspiring the rest of the ward to follow suit. And of course, I had to write songs to add to the ambience, and make it worth while watching. Seems to me we (our ward) got some kind of award (recognition) for it. That's all I can remember about it....hey, that was in the late 60's or 70's. you'd be just a little kid, probably picking up on the ridiculous songs your mother was singing as she struggled with yet another production. Par for the course in those days!

    And speaking of nicknames! Consider a few of the lollapaloozas Steve hung on everybody: Little Boy (David), Pugs (brother Doug), Scoob (brother Bill), Mr. Christie-makes-good-cookies (Kristy), Tither (Dayna)..... oh, all you grand-kids know a lot more of them, I'm sure, than I remember. Let's document some of them, before they rust out from non-use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and just to let you-all know why I haven't been posting over the last while....I've gotten onto the church's new genealogy program NEW FAMILY SEARCH, and it is just wonderful. So consequently, I'm spending tons of time on it, entering some of the 2,000 names in our family data base, that don't already appear on there. It's very addictive, you know. And MUST BE DONE, it's a commandment. One of the three major tenets of the church: Perfect the Saints, Proclaim the Gospel, and Redeem the Dead.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.